Wednesday 25 April 2012

The problem with travelling

If you've been reading my blog then you'll know that all these great experiences bring their problems. Whether it's navigating the New York subway in the early hours or walking the streets of Seattle barefoot, it's often a busy experience with little time to reflect.

It's also easy to be negative about the life I have left behind. This country is wonderful and the people I've met wherever I have been have been so good to me. But the real problem with travelling is that things move on without you back home. Sure, look around and some things and certainly some people will remain static, but events, milestones and more can pass by.

This could be a moment shared with friends that you missed out on. It could be a family event, such as my grandma's eightieth birthday last week. Sadly, I have just learned that my Uncle Colin has passed away after a long fight with illness. I am not normally the sort of person to relay this kind of information over the internet, as I feel that grief can often be cheapened and hammed up for the sake of a few "likes" on Facebook and some attention.

However, I feel that while I am on the other side of the globe that respect should be rightly paid to a most incredible man who I will deeply, deeply miss. Despite his sickness he was a man of strong faith and positive outlook. I remember him not in his bed being nursed by his equally wonderful wife, Sheila, but as the always smiling, always laughing uncle who would always be delighted to see you. The feeling would be reciprocated by whoever he would meet.

I think that Colin would have loved to have met some of the people I have come across on my journey. He had such a positive outlook that his warmth would have won him many friends, but in England he was so loved and cherished by all who knew him. His strength and attitude are a true inspiration and as I think of some of the other people I find back home, I wish there were more people like him.

Despite this, he will to me remain unique and magical. I think of the stories he told and the stories I didn't manage to hear, and his peal of a laugh is warm and comforting. I hear it when I imagine telling him some of my own stories. I will miss him and I know that so many others will also, but they can be safe in the knowledge that his life was a true blessing to all those who were a part of it; comforted that he is at peace now.

My love goes to all of my family and anyone who was lucky enough to meet this special man. I think he would have enjoyed this view. R.I.P Colin.


3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for this Adam. You have put into words what we would all love to be able to say but are unable to do. You are so far away yet your words will offer comfort to many. Keep posting. I will endeavour to find the time now. I didn't think Friday nights could get any better but they will from now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gill I'm glad you took some comfort from it. It's a massive shame but I know Colin would just want everyone to think of him with a smile on our faces. All my love to J.D and the boys x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Gill I'm glad you took some comfort from it. It's a massive shame but I know Colin would just want everyone to think of him with a smile on our faces. All my love to J.D and the boys x

    ReplyDelete