Wednesday 4 April 2012

Ferry nice day...

Apologies for the title. And also apologies to anyone who had the displeasure of finding some rare McCulloch spelling mistakes in my last blog; my excuse is that I was half asleep. Hopefully it was a one-off.

Putting grammar aside for now then (sorry to all my geeks out there!), I'll tell you what I did today. I got up at six o'clock - yeah, you heard - so that I could get a subway down to South Ferry. To anyone who got a bus to Stavely today, I win. Anyway, I was there to catch a ferry, surprisingly, as well as to eat an amazing sandwich and drink coffee by the water beforehand. I'll not put a picture of that up today because I don't want to be that guy (James Louis Grayson if anyone is interested in specifics).

So after demolishing that and going through some pretty heavy security, it was all aboard and off to Liberty Island aka where the Statue of Liberty is. Must say, being up close to it it's really not that impressive. I mean, it's not crooked or anything (this is a blog so I can't say "owt" like I want to). (Whoops, I just did). No, though I do love my spire, Lady Liberty probably just scrapes a battle of the monuments. It really does take your breath away, and as you can see from my picture, puts a smile on your face.

After walking around and checking out a big, green woman for a while I caught the ferry to the next stop - the immigrant hub of Ellis Island. For someone who has been to his fair share of museums (I still don't know why I'm single...), this one is right up there. I definitely recommend it to anyone who visits the city, and that is without the bonus many get by looking up their ancestors on the giant wall of names that snakes around the grounds. Every exhibit was interesting, from the great hall where twelve million people first encountered the American dream to the graffiti they left behind.

After that I took the ferry back to Manhattan to get a closer look at the new 'Freedom Tower' on the site of the former World Trade Centre. It's an absolute giant of a building and it's not even finished yet. And now, all showered and pretty, I'm sat in 'Island Burgers and Shakes,' gulping down the latter and reflecting on a top day in the city. Adios readers!


No comments:

Post a Comment