Sunday 29 April 2012

Don't go chasing waterfalls...

Great song, another great trip. Luckily I didn't listen to that advice, and me, Ash and Jeanie did seek out some of the other incredible waterfalls that are scattered all over the Columbia River Gorge area. We also stopped off on a closed road near to the enormous Mount Hood. It was deathly silent up there and snow could still be found on the side of the road. Sadly, there were no bears loitering but we did get some good shots (see below).

We stopped off at a typically American, typically weird diner for some typically greasy, carb-ridden food. The television in the background even had a feature on Kate Middleton: what a wonderful reminder of all that I've left behind! After more driving we came to 'The Bridge of the Gods,' which had a name that was a little more impressive than the sum of its parts. We did meet a guy photographing the ugly side of America, though, and of course he was English. The amount of people I have struck up bizarre conversations with and found them to be close to home is a little weird. I gave him a beer though and got a tad jealous at the shiny hybrid car he was touring the country in.

At the bridge we met Tim and Jake, plus Jessica the dog, and toasted their hard work with some decent American ale. We then crossed said bridge back into Washington state and took in a very scenic coastal drive towards the small settlement of Maryhill. It contained the first WWI memorial in the U.S and it is actually a replica of Stonehenge, which is ridiculous. I've never seen the original, so it was a little like watching the film before reading the book (heresy!), but the views across the hills and desert compensated. What a crazy country this is where in one week and in one state I can see beaches, forests, rainforests and desert.

Another comfortable (!) sleep in the car and we were soon back in Portland, where I bade fond goodbyes and got back to the hostel. I'm currently chilling, which is more than deserved. I also spoke to my good friend Robbo back home, who's bucking the Chesterfield trend and actually doing something with her life, and moving to China for two years. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying how much she'll be missed, but I look forward to taking this travel blog out to the Far East and going all Karl Pilkington when I have to eat frogs and such. Keep reading, even though I'm hoping the next fee days will mainly involve coffee and relaxation. Tally ho!


No comments:

Post a Comment