Sunday 29 April 2012

Leaving Seattle...

As an excuse to chuck another great picture from my camping adventure, and to stave off the boredom of waiting for my train to Portland, I'm composing another little blog for your pleasure. After departing the ferry and walking two blocks in army-boot agony, I went barefoot again. That's right guys - I've found myself in America and I now walk everywhere barefoot. I'm also a vegan activist and I'm totally pro-Palestine. Funny thing about Seattle was that nobody even gave a second glance to an Englishman walking the city streets in his socks and carrying a khaki sleeping bag.

On my walk home I saw a woman dumpster-diving shamelessly and was encountered by a man with a trolley who wanted my shoes. I was going to gift them to him before he mentioned the queen and then we went our separate ways, both of us presumably with sore feet. When I stumbled back into the room I had paid for and spent about four hours inside I found my locker open, which was a relief in some ways because I thought I would have to cut the bolt, thinking I had mislaid my keys. I didn't check but I'm hoping the i-pod is still in there somewhere but the signs weren't too promising. I also found a Spanish, Canadian and German girl in my room, so I kind of missed the boat there. Nature over nuptials though.

I winged my way out of the hostel, tried to barter with them to hold on to my patriotic looking army bag, failed, and walked out the door. It was then that my rucksack snapped, the little guy having gotten me from ocean to ocean in stiff upper-lip fashion. A bus ride later and I reached the station, realising that my bottle of water from Tim's well had emptied itself inside my broken bag. But I'm here and in one piece; missing the great outdoors but excited to see another new town and to attempt a chilled out, 'Portlandia' lifestyle (please check it out on YouTube - it's that rare combination of "American" and "funny"). Here's a pretty picture and I'll see you in a feminist bookstore in Oregon. Happy holidays!


No comments:

Post a Comment