Wednesday 11 April 2012

All aboard the Capitol Limited!

Here marks a new step in my American adventure, as I board the first of (at least) three trains and as I leave the east coast behind. I've had a great time these past ten days or so but I'm looking forward to getting some new perspectives on this crazy country.

Washington has been another pleasant surprise, not least because of the cool people I've met. After saying some goodbyes, I headed into the city and checked in my bag. It seems to be growing with each new city I come to, but hopefully my waist line isn't going the same way. I then headed to the Museum of the American Indian, seeing as they were closed when me and Brian tried to get in yesterday. I don't know if that Scientology stuff had opened my mind, or if I've just turned into an American sap, but I was getting really into the native culture. I was watching this guy drumming for ages, and I'm surprised I didn't end up missing my train by going to look for a wigwam.

After all that excitement I headed off for the station and to experience the "rail" America (that worked better in my head but I'm sleepy). I'm currently in the middle of nowhere, having passed through some fantastic scenery in West Virginia and Maryland, and now I think I'm somewhere on the approach to Pittsburgh. It's pretty dark now though so not a lot to see. Had a nice chat with the guy next to me, a Greek/American called Paul. He seemed pretty keen to visit England and see some countryside so for once I've actually been talking us up a bit. I've also taught him to pronounce Derbyshire the way we do. I'm such a good samaritan!

But from what I've heard from him and others, I should have a sweet time in Chicago. And apparently the views on my next train are even better than this one. Have a picture of the ridiculously good waffle I had for breakfast and...sayonara!


No comments:

Post a Comment