Sunday 20 May 2012

Strewth - it's Duluth!

Worst title of a blog so far, but that doesn't matter! After a superior time up on the shores of Lake Superior, we winged it back down to this cool little town. Along the way we stopped off at some cool little waterfalls, which although not as vast as those I saw in Columbia River Gorge were still pretty to look at. I'll probably use that as my picture for this blog, seeing as I'm resisting the urge to snap every meal I eat. Only my wee little sister has had the true privilege of looking at edited photos of just about every greasy sandwich that has met its English match.

In Duluth I found that rare and beautiful thing; good American beer. I felt that on the West Coast my American ale trail had peaked, particularly with my new favourite person Terry in Eugene, who let me sample his home brew. But at 'Fitger's, in this small lakeside town, I had a really solid oatmeal stout, along with a double-hopped I.P.A that was especially good. It's nice to see the fear in an American server's eyes when I ask for their best beer; they know the English are invading.

Before I grow a beard, gain seven stone and pull out a tasting chart (and become my dad in two years time), I will digress. I should mention I tried that Minnesotan speciality, wild rice, in vegetarian burger form. It even came with Amish blue cheese and it was pretty incredible, I must say. Today I'll be heading back to the Twin Cities, possibly catching a music festival featuring a trombone player that I met on my first train out west. I'll be staying in the arts district too, which is as cool as it sounds. Must say a massive thanks to Ash for putting me up over here - a real lifesaver and another great friend for life I've met over here (cue a rainbow and glitter and some 'Take That' playing in the background).

I'm also going to be planning my next few moves, following the obvious uncertainties I've faced recently. I'm going to spend a few more days in this state, then Chicago for a week, a flight to Seattle, seeing anything I missed up there and then a few nights in Vancouver before my flight home. This should work out great in principle, and let me catch up with some of the awesome people in those two cities before I head back.

Keep reading and get ready for some more action-packed, spontaneous blogs once I'm back covering even more ground of this amazing country. God bless A-mur-i-cur!


No comments:

Post a Comment