Friday 25 May 2012

Goodbye to the Twin Cities

It is now Friday and my last full day and night in Minnesota. Me and Ashley came back to Minneapolis last night, a power outage forcing us out of the farm to her place in the city. Earlier we had hung out in Waconia, and I will definitely miss the little coffee spot there, 'Mocha Monkey.' It was nice to head back into the urban environment again though - it has been good to have such contrasts recently - and also to eat some delicious pizza from 'Luce' with a few 'Nord East' beers while I am on the street they are named after.

Friday was back to sunshine, so me and Ash headed out to the Art Institute, stopping off for the best French toast of my travels thus far. The institute itself was great, some big artists featured and British names amongst them (Damien Hirst, David Hockney, Henry Moore). It was a great spot and set us up for a nice final day together in Minnesota. We cooked a lovely stew, drank beer and watched a film to round off the day.

Then today (Saturday) we had to say goodbye. Of all my partings thus far, that was the hardest. We have spent such a long time together since meeting back on my first train west, with only a few days apart in all that time. At a part of my trip which could easily have been disastrous, she has showed me a part of her country I otherwise would have bypassed completely. I know we'll be in touch and I'll have some exciting musical news regarding myself and Ash in the near future, so keep your wee English ears to the ground.

So here I am, saddened to be leaving a true, true friend but also excited to be seeing Chicago again. I'm going to try and do a little flat hunting while I'm here, to get a feel for a sub-let so that I can spend an extended period of time in this part of the world: we shall see. But I now have five days to see America's second city once more, and sleeping for free courtesy of my amazing friend, Mike. Keep on reading, while I do exciting things like eating ribs, cutting my ever-growing hair and planning for my next American adventure. Adios!


1 comment: