Thursday 17 May 2012

A change of plan

Yes, it has been a weird week or so. I've not always had internet available, and when I have I've been a bit rushed. To cut a long story very short, Alex had a change of heart and decided to go home. Not letting that put me off, I've decided to head to Minnesota with Ash, to see more of the Midwest. I'm trying to be as spontaneous as possible, and it doesn't get much more spontaneous than having the car you bought for a roadtrip taken away from you. But I'm feeling really good after a few days in Seattle - a city high in my favourite places over here - and during another marathon train ride through glaciers and plains aplenty.

I'll quickly run over the things I've actually done since Portland, minus all the nitty gritty of sorting out Alex's departure.

1. We spent three nights in Eugene being hosted by the amazing Jan and Terry. We drank a lot of beer, met their son Connor and his girlfriend Kayleigh. We also had some amazing pastry - just saying.
2. Me and Ash ended up back in Seattle. We stayed at the same hostel as I did the first time and managed to see Capitol Hill, the University District and meet up with our friend Ryan who we met in Portland. Our roommate Elina was also really cool.
3. We took a ferry across to Bainbridge Island again to stay with our good friend Tim. Had a lovely time in the sunshine, with me and Ash going for some great food, beer and ice-cream in Kingston. We also watched 'Twin Peaks,' and I can confirm that the viewing pleasure is enhanced in that part of the world.
4. We headed back to Seattle and, after some good falafel, we were on another train across the country. No cool banjo players this time; just a lot of Amish, an old girl from the Deep South who coughed like she was gargling staples, and the world's worst server, who made me add up my own bill.

It's now about six in the morning on a Tuesday and we have entered Minnesota. I currently feel like death after two nights on the train but I'm looking forward to getting out in the country. Service is going to be limited again but there's a coffee place a few miles from where I'm staying where I can hopefully keep you posted on what I'm doing, as well as filling in some blanks from the past busy week or so via some pictures. I will also be updating my Instagram feed so if you have it, follow me (Adam McCulloch 23 should find me alright), or look up my lovely fellow traveller, Ashley Lebedev if you want some pro pictures. Sorry for the lack of updates but I'm sure you can understand when things have been up in the air...luckily I'm still in the best place on earth and not Worksop. See ya later!


No comments:

Post a Comment