Wednesday 30 May 2012

Chicago Part II

Well I'm back again! I'm tired of saying sorry for my lack of blogging - in fact, I'm just plain tired. However, it's really good being back in this big city and all it has to offer. I got in at around seven on the Saturday night, and met Dan who I was going to be staying with: a really nice, funny guy who has been a great host. That evening I got food and coffee downtown, hung out with folk and had a generally great evening.

Sunday was mainly spent with beers on the beach. That's right, I'm about as far away from the ocean as you can get (see a map for details), but luckily I'm still in the land of the lakes so when the sun hits the city, the city hits the beach. Yeah, I did just say that. So me and Dan hit the beach and met some of his friends - who were all just as great - and wasted away the hours on the sand with I.P.A's and good company. There was even a black lady, best described as "bubbly," who told me, Dan and the beach as a whole that she wanted to take off all her clothes and "get neked." How disappointed we were when she didn't follow up this thought, remaining satisfied with a costume that her body appeared to be eating.

I've spent the past two days being a big tourist, something that I haven't really been since Washington D.C and my day touring the sights with Brian (how long ago does that seem, super fans?). I've been to visit the Shedd aquarium, home to Beluga whales and an otter that I want to adopt. That was on memorial day (something for soldiers apparently), hence a lot of interesting tourist smells mingling with those sea scents (as good as it sounds). (Brackets overload). Today, which is still just about Tuesday, I went to the Field Museum, which sounds a lot more terrible than it actually is. It has the best preserved, most complete T-Rex fossil in the world. The dinosaur in question is called Sue, and I believe it is featured in the film 'Night at the Museum,' which might interest Cally a little.

That would be the obvious image for my blog...which is why I've decided to put up a bottle of beer instead (read on for the reasoning). However, if you go on my Instagram then you will be able to see a wonderfully edited version of Sue that I spent many a second over, along with a lot of other pictures for you to pore over. My name is AdamMcCulloch23 if anyone is interested, which you obviously are. It's worth mentioning in my blog purely so that my sister has to explain to relatives what Instagram is.

I'm currently writing this sat inside the 'Owen and Engine,' just off of Western and Diversey. It's an English establishment with some absolutely fantastic food - it really does the best tomato sauce I've ever tasted - and the beer is out of this world. It even stocks local favourite Jaipur, courtesy of Thornbridge brewery, which is the image that I felt meant more to me than a skeleton mere millions of years old. Who knows, maybe almost two months away from home has softened up my feelings towards home. Maybe I pine for a night at 'Nickels' and chips, cheese and tikka from 'Afnans.' Maybe I'm just an alcoholic. Keep reading for my last night in Chicago and the start of my deja vu return to Seattle.


No comments:

Post a Comment