Friday 4 May 2012

On the road!

Technically, I'm not on the road. I'm actually eating bagels back at the hostel in Portland where I was staying a few days ago. I'm with Alex and Ashley, who has joined us for a segment of our sojourn, and it's so far, so good. I did manage to lose my debit card yesterday, though, so hopefully some Mexican guy isn't spending all my assets. We could only book one night at the pretty place in Hawthorne, so it seems that tonight we will be drawing on a contact or two to find a place to stay.

After I finally managed to reunite myself with Mr. Stevens, we headed up to Tim's on the island and had a nice easy time. We headed across to Seattle on the Wednesday to walk around the market, try and fail to find good coffee and forget my bank account. It was better than it sounded. It also offered the opportunity to see the after-effects of the May Day riots, which I wandered through naively before meeting Alex. We then headed back to the island to take Tim and Debra for a thank you meal at a local brewery, accompanied by the expected good beer.

Some homemade oatmeal and great coffee later and we were on the road (see the title does work). After a few wrong turns, and a brief goodbye to Jeanie, we set off. We stopped off for a milkshake that I'm pretty sure knocked about six years off of my life, and had a weird stop in Vancouver (not the Canadian one) that put the "farm" in "pharmacy," which doesn't work as well written down.

Eventually, I made it back to the Hawthorne district, with a few familiar faces knocking around. The Hopworks seemed like the most obvious place to head to, so we pigged out on some great food and a lot of beer, before heading back and meeting a guy from Rhode Island who wanted to move to Wales. So my night after that involved drunkenly explaining why it would be a terrible idea to move across the Atlantic to Barry or somewhere similar. And now here I am, rested and waiting for those guys to surface, catching up with the people who hung around in the city a little longer. I'll keep you posted on today's adventures. Tarah for now!


1 comment:

  1. Hi Adam, JD here. Is the blogosphere really quiet or is there a reason there are no comments. Anyway in case you thought you were blogging into the void, I thought I'd let you know that someone is watching/listening/reading your musings on all things american. I can imagine how thoughts of chesterfield must leave a hole in your heart but believe me, although you will never be rid of that sadness, it will lessen in time. Just be patient.
    Good to hear you're OK and having a good time.
    JD and Co

    ReplyDelete