Wednesday 11 December 2013

Long. Way. Home.

(Long Way Home is yet another terrible Asian name joke - I'm tired and sat waiting for a ferry so that's my excuse for constantly repeating material). 

Here we are, folks. My last blog from out east. What a fantastic month has been, flying by faster than a scooter in Hanoi, or the phlegm of an elderly Chinese man who just can't help himself. This was my first trip to this side of the world and it hasn't disappointed. I've been reunited with an old friend and made lots of new ones too, so I'll take this opportunity to say thank you to all of them. 

From Sasha and Fanny for having me in their home, to Johnny for his Vietnamese nail girl impersonation and pole skills, to Tim for crossing the (metaphorical) friendship bridge with me, and to all of the cast and crew from The House of Dancing Water - you're all great and have made me feel so welcome. I've got to give a big special thank you to Ben Milot for a great two weeks travelling around Vietnam and Thailand, for being a father figure and for being too drunk to stand in Bangkok. And, last but not least, to my bestest best friend in the whole of Taipa (if not the world)...Sophie "Insert Stage Name Here" Robinson. I am so proud of her wee face for all the amazing work she is doing and the life she is living over here. She deserves all the good things that are coming her way and it has been brilliant just catching up, let alone all the travelling/feasting/drinking. So, in the last bit of Derbyshire I can muster, ta me duck for everything. 

With feasting and drinking in mind, that's exactly how I spent my last day in Macau. Me and Soph met Ben and Johnny for an Italian buffet in the Venetian. The four greatest words in the English language...all you can eat. We had a wander before heading to the Ild Taipa Tavern for some farewell beers and festive port. For some reason a Chinese family sat their infant child next to us and made it pose with a glass of wine. If anyone sees the photograph, I haven't adopted a Chinese baby. Yet. We then gathered my luggage, met Tim for a farewell sherry and I am now just outside of Hong Kong on the ferry. Land, sea and air people. 

                                * * *

Hong Kong airport is huge. They also gave me about £15 in a tax return. I bought some hideous chopsticks to celebrate. I'm now waiting for my flight to Munich, and then my connection to Manchester. Eighteen hours altogether so I'm banking on more complimentary red wine to ease the pain. 

                                * * *
Made it to Munich. Seemed to be ahead of schedule so now I'm having to wait here for three hours. Quite a few Man City fans knocking about, seeing as they beat Bayern on Tuesday night. I haven't really got any great plane stories. I drank red wine, watched 'Meet The Millers' (which Soph had weirdly recommend to me earlier in the day), and about three quarters of 'The Hobbit.' I slept. It was really foggy as we landed. Getting off of a German plane is a far more relaxing experience than getting off of a Chinese one. This blog is petering out faster than Robbie Williams' career. I'll put it out of its misery when I land in Manchester. 

                                * * *

Currently freezing in Chezterfield. I'm back safe and sound. It's afternoon but it's night but I just ate breakfast but...you get the picture. I just drank Vietnamese coffee, think that's my 10th of today (or yesterday, or tomorrow...). I need a beer. Here's a picture of me in a mask. Thanks for reading everyone! I'll be blogging again soon on my next madcap adventure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment