Monday 18 November 2013

The Show

And wow what a show. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it - and I'm told I'm not even seeing it at 100%. If Macau is a crazy, flamboyant bubble of a place then this is certainly the show that fits. It opened with a small Chinese boy being blown off of his boat, taking him into a magical underwater world of giraffes, swans, chandeliers made of gymnasts, evil queens and jesters, human pyramids and - but of course - a team of stunt-pulling motorbike riders. 

The last time I saw Sophie on stage was about two and a half years ago, performing a one-man show on a small London stage. Now here she is performing to a giant arena twice a day, amongst an enourmous cast and crew who are all at the top of their game. I feel like a proud parent. And best of all I got to tour behind the scenes, hearing the military-precision commands being barked into the ears of all those involved as they flirted with danger and death at every turn. All involved should be really proud. 

Away from the lights I've basically been doing what I usually do, whether at home or abroad: eat and drink. I took another trip to the food fair with Jen, experiencing the constant rejection of Chinese families who would not allow us to sit with them. I finally are noodles too, and not a moment too soon. I'm waiting now to see the show a third time, from the musician's pit, before we fly out to Hanoi in the north of Vietnam. It feels good to be heading out and moving around again, and I'm obviously excited about the amazing food, cool places and shockingly cheap beer I'm set to consume. And that's before I go to Thailand...

1 comment:

  1. Third time lucky. Keep forgetting to publish. sounds amazing adam. Not sure if my previous 2 posts worked. If so sorry for being tedious or just repetitive. Hope the jeg lag has eased. Sounds just like I imagined- really vibrant and wacky. Dont forget to tell us about the food. Great pictures as usual too. take care

    ReplyDelete