Tuesday 27 March 2012

The sun comes to Chesterfield...

Well with weather this glorious who would ever consider putting all their belongings in a bag and heading for a taste of the American dream? Actually, I would still, but I'm English so I thought I would write something about our climate. When sunlight hits our historic market town there are certain things it will be sure to bring. One is that around 60% of the male population forget how to wear clothing on their upper bodies. The middle-aged woman in me is outraged, while the twenty-two year old male thanks high heaven that I have a belly and I do care about it making public appearances. I also wonder how many of these men descend from the Maoris or some other ancient tribe, judging by the tattoos they sport on gently baking arms.

Anyway before I start getting carried away about male torsos there are some other fun sights to spot in this kind of weather. My particular favourite is the emergence of complete and utter nutters, who only seem to come out when the thermometer reaches a certain level. Of course, this often ties hand in hand with said shirtless men but there are plenty of others to be seen. Sat in the passenger seat of my mum's Suzuki Jimny yesterday (love being independent), I felt as though I were on a safari through the Serengeti as the sun beat down and bearded men with bags that clinked roamed the streets. It is almost as if the sheer amazement of LIGHT and HEAT in this country leads them to the bottle. Any kind of positive weather simply cannot be comprehended, and drink is the only way out.

And on that note I'm going to put down my laptop, sit outside and have a Stella. With my shirt on.

No comments:

Post a Comment