Saturday 31 March 2012

A bit more info...

It's the Saturday before I go and get a horrific airport taxi at half three in the morning (for all my lovely stalkers out there), so I thought I would give some details on my American adventure. I'm flying out to New York and I'm there until the Friday; I would have stayed longer but I've been before, and although it is probably the best place on earth I have a fair bit of ground to cover.

I'm then heading down to Philadelphia for a couple of nights. I'm not really expecting a lot from there, probably because Will Smith seemed quite keen to trade a life on the playground for Bel Air. But it does mean I can run up the steps like Rocky did, and possibly punch a joint of meat for the full montage effect.

Then I'm in the capital city (Washington D.C for you limey's) for three nights. That really is going to be pure sightseeing - the war monuments, the Lincoln Memorial, the White House and loads more. I'll probably try and see Kennedy's grave as well, cos I'm a miserable old thing.

After a gorgeous seventeen hour train I rock up in Chicago for six nights. I've got some tickets booked to see Death Cab For Cutie (the fact I'm going on my own shows how old I'm getting), and I'll hopefully catch a baseball game too. Chicago is home to some ridiculous pizza places - see the 'Man vs Food' episode to see what I mean - so I'll probably be doing the classic Facebook activity of taking pictures of food (James Grayson®).

Then I have a crazy FORTY SIX HOUR train journey through some fantastic scenery, all the way to Seattle. I'm spending five nights there, where I'll hopefully live the life of Fraiser Crane and drink coffee whilst looking distinguished. It's also home to some music icons - Hendrix, Cobain, etc. - so I'll probably be doing some more grave watching/robbing.

A three hour train from Washington State to Oregon brings me into Portland for six nights. This is one place that I'm really buzzing about. Loads of microbreweries, massive book shops, surrounded by some incredible scenery. It's where Modest Mouse formed so you know it's a cool place.

I'll tell you about the second half of my trip tomorrow, on my last full day on our tiny little isle for a few months. Keep reading (please).

No comments:

Post a Comment